- Michelle Obarka
- Lt. Ohura
- Karen Barkenter
- Blackie Joyner-Kersey
- Joan Harris
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
While going through my email today I came across the list of names my (insert adjective of choice) husband had sent to me when we were trying to pick a name for our new black female puppy. We decided on just plain Lucille. Which is really not plain at all and is the perfect name for her. Here are his suggested names
Posted by M-B at 4:27 PM
Saturday, May 5, 2012
- Taylor Kitsch
- Christopher Nolan's Batman Movies
- $1 Sweet Tea from McDonalds
- Laughing about things my husband says and does
- Spring at the baseball park
- Full moons
Posted by M-B at 6:31 AM
Sunday, March 11, 2012
|Photo by Brandywine Photography|
I have been a longtime fan of pin-up style fashion and photography. My friend Leanna has recently started a business photographing pin-ups, and I was lucky enough to be one of her first models. Since I was so excited about it all, I have been trying to help out where I can. Most recently that included browsing my parents' house for "vintage" stuff that could be used as props in future shoots. I had seen the photo to the right on a pin-up photography site and loved it so much that I thought I could try to recreate it. I have an old record player, all I needed was the forty-fives. My mom spoke up and said, "We've got some old 45's you can have." YES! So we headed to the 5 or 6 milk crates that now contain my parents' much narrowed down record collection, to look for them. I was totally surprised when I saw that the majority of these 45s were mine! How had they survived all this time?! Mom and I laughed and sang as we looked through the stack. She kept a few John Lennon ones that she couldn't part with, and sent the rest home with me. What follows is a list of the 45's in that stack. Enjoy!
- "Jungle Love" Morris Day and The Time
- "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" Elton John
- "I'm Satisfied" BeeGees
- "Conga" Miami Sound Machine
- "Africa" Toto
- "Saving All My Love for You" Whitney Houston
- "Ebony and Ivory" Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
- "Harlem Shuffle" Rolling Stones
- "Count Me Out" New Edition
- "Sharing the Night Together" Dr. Hook
- "Copacabana" Barry Manilow
- "Walk Like an Egyptian" Bangles (2 copies)
- "When Doves Cry" Prince
- "King Tut" Steve Martin
- "Beat It" Michael Jackson
- "We Are Family" Sister Sledge
- "Shame on the Moon" Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
- "The Girl Is Mine" Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney
- "Ghostbusters" Ray Parker Jr.
- "Who's Zoomin' Who" Aretha Franklin
- "Unchain My Heart" Joe Cocker
- "Chicken Soup with Rice" Carole King
- "Georgie and the Noisy Ghost" a Robert Bright story read by George Rose
Not mine (that I did not remember singing to in my room anyway):
- "White Christmas" Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters
- "Nobody Does it Better" Carly Simon
- "Shout" Joey Dee and the Starlighters
- "This Is It" Melba Moore
- "Here You Come Again" Dolly Parton
- "Stars on 45 Get Ready Volume III" Stars On 45 (Both sides are more than 7 min long each)
- "The Gambler" Kenny Rogers
- "She Believes in Me" Kenny Rogers
Posted by M-B at 7:03 AM
Sunday, January 15, 2012
Last week, while my parents were putting away Christmas decorations, they came across a box, shoved to the back of a shelf, which contained what my dad would call "memorabilia" and my mom would call "crap."Amongst these treasures were some things that they saw fit to send to my house to live, the bulk of which was a collection of schoolwork and report cards from several grades. The list of comments that follow are all quoted directly from my first grade report card, the 1980-81 school year.I was really wanting to write a whole rant about each of these comments. They really made me upset when I started looking at them. I called my father and while I yelled and cried he laughed...saying this teacher and my mom, Sue, never really saw eye to eye. Am I crazy or are some of these comments really inappropriate?! Now I know our education system has changed a lot. I know that if I as a 2012 teacher put a student's desk out in the hall and closed the door like my 5th grade teacher to me, that I would be fired. But still...
- "She is such a delight when she is absorbed in what we're doing, but she has very little self discipline when it's a less pleasurable task."
- "Sue, You asked not long ago how different J. was from the other classmates? I conclude, very different! She thinks beautifully and has great ability, but public school will possibly be increasingly difficult for her style."
- "I told Dale that Jessica either wore me down or she's changed because I have really enjoyed her this last nine weeks."
- "If I've prepared her in any way for next year, it's been worth our struggles."
- "She has taught me a lot and I feel privileged for the experience."
- "I look for her to be something great someday."
- "For the flowers, the candy, the party stuff, and your constant support, I've never felt so special."
- "Please call me at anytime in her school career if you need me."
Posted by M-B at 6:54 PM
So I slowed down a bit and while I had my left hand on the wheel I started rifling through my car's various cubby holes for my iPod and its adapter. Several swerves later, I hit "shuffle songs" and waited for my own personal favorites to start. As usual, it did not disappoint. Even though there are thousands of songs on my iPod, it always seems to be able to tap into my psyche and play exactly the right song in the moment. What follows is a list of song lyrics that came on my iPod on the trip. Lyrics that resonated with me today from songs that randomly came through the speakers at me on this sunny drive home.
- "The laws of man don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye."
- "Now I like nothing better than a pretty girl smile and I haven't seen a smile that pretty in a while."
- "Well her husband he's a violent man a very violent and jealous man. Now I have to leave this town. I got to leave while I still can.
- "Why you act frightened? I am enlightened."
- "But for now we are young. Let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see."
- "To what you wanted to see good has made you blind, and what you wanted to be yours has made it mine."
- "Don't trade your love and goodness for the golden machine."
- "It's the fear that you know, but you gotta let go."
- "Lost in fog and love and faithless fear, I've had kisses that make Judas seem sincere."
- "What the hell am I trying to say?"
- "Glad I have the scrapes to prove it was me who fell."
Posted by M-B at 5:12 PM
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
- Kenny Rogers (meet and greet after too) February 11.
- Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings (Reigning Sound opened) March 13.
- Chris Cornell (favorite concert of the year) April 6.
- Fitz and the Tantrums (April Smith and the Great Picture Show opened) April 11.
- Freight Hoppers, April 23.
- Stone Temple Pilots, April 23.
- Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, May 9.
- Al Jardine (of The Beach Boys, and went to the meet and greet after) July 9.
- Glaze (Decline of WNC) July 26.
- Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings, August 6.
- Dreamers of the Ghetto (at Hopscotch Festival) September 10.
- Superchunk (at Hopscotch Festival) September 10.
- The Flaming Lips (at Hopscotch Festival, most mind melting show of the year)September 10.
- Fitz and the Tantrums ( Walk the Moon opened) November 3.
- Nice Guys Help Club, November 11.
- Eccentric Soul Review (Ronaldo Domino, The Notations, Syl Johnson) November 19.
Posted by M-B at 6:55 PM
Saturday, October 15, 2011
- Hot Freaks--- Guided by Voices
- Sweat--- Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
- Carla the Stripper--- Presidents of the United States
- Do You Believe in Magic?--- Lovin' Spoonful
- Blues Explosion Man ---Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
- Puffin' on a Pot Pipe--- Lou Barlow (and Friends)
- Soul and Fire--- Sebadoh
- I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More Baby---Barry White
- Echos Myron---Guided by Voices
- I Am So Into You---Shutter to Think
- Driveway to Driveway---Superchunk
- My Valuable Hunting Knife---Guided by Voices
Posted by M-B at 7:06 PM