Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Long Drive Home

On my drive home from Greensboro today I got really frustrated hitting the "scan" button on my stereo. Ordinarily surfing the radio stations is one of my favorite parts of the trip between the mountains and the Piedmont, but today it was a complete bust. My radio offered up to me bad classic rock, random cute girl singing dance music, several styles of religious songs, and lots and lots of modern country. Bah! Blah! Grrrr!

So I slowed down a bit and while I had my left hand on the wheel I started rifling through my car's various cubby holes for my iPod and its adapter. Several swerves later, I hit "shuffle songs" and waited for my own personal favorites to start. As usual, it did not disappoint. Even though there are thousands of songs on my iPod, it always seems to be able to tap into my psyche and play exactly the right song in the moment. What follows is a list of song lyrics that came on my iPod on the trip. Lyrics that resonated with me today from songs that randomly came through the speakers at me on this sunny drive home.


  • "The laws of man don't apply when blood gets in a woman's eye."
  • "Now I like nothing better than a pretty girl smile and I haven't seen a smile that pretty in a while."
  • "Well her husband he's a violent man a very violent and jealous man. Now I have to leave this town. I got to leave while I still can.
  • "Why you act frightened? I am enlightened."
  • "But for now we are young. Let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see."
  • "To what you wanted to see good has made you blind, and what you wanted to be yours has made it mine."
  • "Don't trade your love and goodness for the golden machine."
  • "It's the fear that you know, but you gotta let go."
  • "Lost in fog and love and faithless fear, I've had kisses that make Judas seem sincere."
  • "What the hell am I trying to say?"
  • "Glad I have the scrapes to prove it was me who fell."
    How many do you recognize? Clue? Six of the eleven I have seen in concert sometime in the past 20 years...and a seventh I have tickets to see next month.

    No comments: