Monday, September 29, 2008

An Actual Conversation

(Names have been changed to protect the innocent.)

During writing journals in my class I often give the students a prompt to get thinking started. Today I gave the question "If you were an animal what would you be and why?" After the allotted writing time was up I asked several students to share their answers. I got the typical assortment of "I wanna be a cat so I can sleep all day," and "I wanna be a dog so I can bite people," etc... But the best happened just this way:

Me: So Mark, what animal would you want to be?

Mark: I want to be a gorilla.

Me: A gorilla! That's awesome! Why a gorilla?

Mark: So nobody will judge me when I scratch my butt.

Me: (LOUD LAUGHTER)

Out of the mouths of babes..I love my job.

1 comment:

M said...

Great hangin out with you lady! Let's get together sometime. My e-mail is ilostmari@hotmail.com.