Monday, September 22, 2008

Simple Pleasures

Today it has been decided in my mind…trampolines are absolutely magic.

My best friend who lived two houses down was the first person in the neighborhood to have a trampoline. It instantly became the center of our suburban teenage world. It served as a hang-out spot, a spot for telling secrets, and a place where it was safe to bring your sleeping bag and escape to any time of night. We jumped in the summer, the winter, in our prom dresses, drunk, sober… but always happy and laughing and feeling the magic. The neighborhood gang still talks about the trampoline though we are all over 30 now.

I remember in college tripping my ass off and watching a friend jump on a trampoline. I swore that the wet green grass swaying to the rhythm of the jump and lit by the street light was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Ok, I was tripping. But it was still magic damnit.

The first year I taught elementary school I remember the day I walked my kids to PE and saw before me the trampoline in the center of the room. One of the coaches spotted me gazing longingly and asked in a soft voice, "Do you want to jump?" "No no no…I have to get back to …(insert some excuse)" "You sure? It's really OK" "Well just for a minute" "YEEEEAAAAHHHH" my class yelled! I loved it, they loved it and now it is understood that Ms. Metz is always invited when the trampoline is in the gym, and that Ms. Metz always mans the trampoline station during field day as well. Again…feeling the magic.

Today I had a trampoline moment that solidified all my beliefs about this nylon and steel circle of joy. Walking into the yard at Jason's family's home I was once again entranced by the sight of a trampoline. I couldn't help myself. I had to jump. I did ask, but as I was asking, I already had one leg thrown over the edge. Jason soon jumped up also, though with a somewhat reluctant look on his face. We jumped and laughed and lay staring through the leaves up at the blue summer sky. That was absolutely the most peaceful and happy I have been in so very long. Magic.

Now go forth and jump.

(An addendum) Not long after I wrote this Jason and I were at his parent's house having a cookout. His grandfather, sister, niece, and I were sitting beside the trampoline while Jason practiced his wrestling moves with his two nephews. During the conversation Grandpa admitted that he had come out by himself and jumped on the trampoline that week. He hurt his back, lay there for about 30 minutes, and told everyone a lie about just pulling his back around the house. But grandpa jumped! I love him for that!

No comments: