Sunday, September 14, 2008

I Am An Experiential Learner


Things we truly loved as children often have a way of becoming more sacred as we get further from those early years. Since my boyfriend, Jason, and I started dating he has been trying to explain this and have me respect it. Specifically when it comes to his long time loves...super-heroes and wrestling. Comics and TV wrestling were big parts of his childhood and things he never left behind. Through teen angst. Through his 20's drunks, drugs, and divorce. Even now, entering his 30's, new comic book day and Monday night wrestling are weekly highlights.

Being the person I am, sweet and sassy, I will often make sexy little comments about things he is watching or reading or sharing with me. However, I quickly learned that these comments were not well received when directed at Superman or John Morrison. He would always say "Don't sexualize (insert character name)!" My usual response would be to giggle and say "Whatever." But it never stopped me from doing it again, and he never stopped chastising me for it. I just thought he was being silly and overly sensitive. This weekend I had an experience that forever changed my attitude towards his reaction.

Being a child in the 70's and 80's one of my cherished childhood loves was Muppets. I grew up with Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, and The Dark Crystal. Still, 25+years later, I remember many of the skits and songs as if I just turned off the tiny TV with the giant rabbit ears. I won't go into the graphic details of the entire experience, but while fooling around on youtube this boring Saturday afternoon, my boyfriend showed me a video of Kermit. In the video had Kermit the Frog, during a moment of reaction says the word "fuck." I immediately became enraged at the person who had created this abomination! I made Jason stop the video that second. What monster could do this to my beloved childhood icon?! "Jim Henson would never have allowed this!" I screamed.

And then, in the midst of my fit it all became clear. This is what Jason had been trying to say. Kermit was my Superman, my untouchable. So to Jason I say, I know now and apologize for those comments. And to others I say do not underestimate the power of your childhood heart to let loose untold emotions. Now go forth and enjoy something you have neglected far too long...

No comments: